December 10, 2011

I-Friends? Okay… I’ll Facebook-stalk you first.


When I was younger, I remember having to memorize my friend’s phone numbers in order to call them to see if they could hang out for the day. Now, all I have to do is take out my cell phone, shoot out a text or post a status on my Facebook page saying, “I’m bored at—Saloon—come drink with me!” And then I think to myself… great, well let’s see how many creepers come out to play tonight. “Facebook stalking” has become a socially acceptable phenomenon, more like a socially acceptable blunder. As stated by NCgirl59 on urbandictionary.com,
            The act of monitoring another person's activity (status updates, photo uploads, photo tags, photo comments, wall posts, friend additions, group memberships, attended events, mutual friends, e.t.c.) on the popular social network of Facebook.
                        Person A: I was Facebook stalking Jennifer for two hours last night.                                                             
                        Person B: Oh really?
                        Person A: Yeah, Amber added photos from her birthday party and Jennifer was tagged in one of them. However two weeks ago Jennifer RSVPed 'attending' on the guest list for Jack's                                                             birthday party which was the same night as Amber's. Then she updated her status to: "Jennifer is going on a date tonight" but according to her relationship status, she's not single!
            So this leaves me at the Saloon, waiting for friends, and I end up getting people who I’m pity-friends with who happen to have been Facebook stalking me at the time I put up that status. What a shame. (I would never actually use FourSquare or Places, to “check into” places for my own personal safety reasons, but never the less the point still stands; I’m still stuck at the Saloon with unwanted people.) Due to the social norm of Facebook stalking, I would solidly like to say “F you” to whoever invented the FourSquare and Places apps. Not only have those apps added to the social networking stalking that is occurring, it also opens up various windows to illicit and illegal activities. As stated by Anna Brundage in her September article in The Quinnipac Chronicle, “I do not want everyone to know where I am. If I feel it is important enough for someone to know where I am, I will tell them” and I rather tend to agree.
            Anna Brundage then goes on in the same article to state her, rather similar to my, opinion of the options to subscribe to Facebook friends and groups. It is a tad bit too much. Having someone receive a SMS message every time I post a status not only creeps me out, I think it is a completely unnecessary and rather dangerous integrated part of Facebook. With statuses being posted by myself and my friends on Facebook who use and have enabled the location setting for posts on their Facebooks, the last thing I want is for someone who I don’t really want to know that much about me to be seeing if they can develop a pattern of my behavior via Facebook posts by myself or my friends. The last thing I would ever want is for people to be able to do that to myself or any of my friends, between past experiences of my own, I really do not want anyone at all to see where I am several times per week and see my behavioral patterns.
            More over, if Facebook stalking is “bad” and can enable those who are doing the Facebook stalking to see behavioral patterns of the people who are the targets of such activities, imagine this…a breakup notification application. Guess what? It already exists. It is the brain child of Beverly Hills-based software programmer Dan Loewenherz, originally developed as a joke. This is a prime example of a joke turned potentially harmful and dangerous app available to all on Facebook. Upon its introduction to the world wide web via Facebook, it found seekers of such an application as far as India, and over 100,000 seekers within the first twenty four hours of its release. So, realistically that’s 100,000 people looking, and keeping tabs on at least 100,000 other individuals, and up to 700,000 just within the first twenty four hours that the application was released to the public. Initially a joke, now a world wide stalking tool. What a shame.
            So I leave you with a final pondered thought of mine; is Facebook a social networking site, or a social stalking site? You can keep in touch with far away relatives, and friends. You can keep up with friends near by. You can see what your room mates are up to. You can see who’s dating whom. You can keep tabs on the people you’re trying to hang out with. You can perpetually watch the Facebook pages of people who you’d like to. You can see where they go. You can see what they do. You can see everything they let you see. So I, again, leave you with a final pondered thought of mine…is Facebook a social networking site, or a social stalking site?  





No comments:

Post a Comment